Monday, November 19, 2012

Chapter 24 :)

"what's the real situation?"                                                                                  

Chapter 24 was a little discouraging, I understand that Deaf people don't want hearing people to take their jobs as teachers and interpenetrates of the Deaf but after reading this chapter I get the feeling that many Deaf people don't want hearing people to learn ASL at all. It is very sad to me however that hearing people want to learn ASL and take over Deaf peoples jobs for power. This just seems so wrong and unethical, I don't understand why someone would do this. 
I also understand Deaf advocates side, of not wanting hearing people to learn ASL. I really liked the French example which was referred to from chapter 23, it mentioned "fad signs"  and how they often  "appear, blaze briefly, and die out." This chapter talked about Americans adding English words to French prefixes, this takes away from the beautiful French language. I can see how ASL relates, because hearing English speaking people add English twists onto ASL, which takes away from the unique culture of the Deaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment