Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chapter 22 :)

Watching ASL in Public                                                                                              

Now that I have been more formally introduced to ASL I am very eager to see people signing and even get the chance to be a part of it. As this chapter mentioned "signs can be read straight across a crowded room, a campus quad, or from a balcony window several stories up" so people who are deaf rely on people's non comprehension of ASL for confidentiality. Something I read in this chapter that I had never thought about before was signing in an environment (such as Gallaudet) where most people know ASL. It would be really hard to have a private conversation. One thing this chapter suggested was to use a jacket as a "sign-shield"  I thought this was a clever way to visually whisper. :) Although I do think it would be hard to get used to, not being able to whisper in public. I think whispering is one of those things that we don't really realize how much we do. I think it would be a little frustrating to know that everyone always has the ability to know what you are saying in a public place.
I think that I would be afraid to "eye drop" in a conversation in public. I am a rather shy person and I think it would be too afraid that they would think I was being rude. If it looked like casual conversation I think I would at least say hello and see that kind of vibe I get before diving into a conversation. 
I found the exert on name signs to be rather interesting, I am familiar with name signs but I do not have one. One question that arose while I was reading the information about namesign is... do people have more than one namesign? 

No comments:

Post a Comment