Sunday, November 25, 2012

Chapter 29 :)

A Movement to Close Residential Schools                                                                                 

Chapter 29 was FULL of so much information! I was very unfamiliar with residential schools and what they're all about before reading this chapter. I am still a little confused, there were so many pros and cons for each school; this chapter emphasized just how difficult it is for parents to choose a school for their Deaf child. It is sad to read that state budget cuts are causing the educational quality of residential schools to drop. I was also surprised to read that residential schools are not as challenging as schools for the hearing. But I feel like residential schools offer children the opportunity to meet and connect with other Deaf children, as well as become proficient signers because they are constantly immersed in Deaf culture and ASL.
I don't watch the news much, so I looked up news for residential schools closing on the internet. I found an interesting article about alumni rallying to keep a residential school for the Deaf open in Iowa. This article included many emotional quotes from students about the importance of this school to their education. Here is the link to the article: http://thegazette.com/2012/07/31/school-for-the-deaf-graduates-want-residential-campus-to-remain/ 
I definitely think that choosing the right school for your Deaf child is a struggle. I think it would be so hard to let a young child go away all week to a residential school, but I also think that this is a good way for Deaf children with hearing parents to become proficient signers. I think being a hearing parent it would be more difficult to choose an effective school because many hearing parents don't understand true ASL. Like the book says " check into the schools. Visit them. Ask tough questions." pretty much do your research! 

No comments:

Post a Comment