Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Chapter 1 :)

Chapter 1: For Hearing People Only

http://hsdcstore.com
Before taking a sign language class, or doing any research on deaf culture I knew very little about the language or its users. The only time I have ever been in close contact with non hearing individuals was with my lifelong my best friend. His grandparents were both deaf, there were a few occasions where I was present at family dinners or holidays with Charlie and his grandparents would be there, to my surprise they looked and acted just like any other grandmother or grandfather. As a child I was fascinated with this unknown language, while I could not understand a word of sign language at the time their expressions and body language seemed to tell stories as if they were speaking clear English. While reading For Hearing People Only, and as I learn more about all of the history and culture behind ASL it makes me more and more thankful for the opportunity to learn this language and culture.

Before I actually had the opportunity to take ASL I always thought that sign language was English in a visual form, just in the first week of class I have been fascinated with how complex the language is. Through reading For Hearing People Only I have learned the deep history of ASL and how it struggled to even become recognized as a language. 

One fact I found particularly interesting in Chapter 1 was that "people using ASL can communicate comfortably with each other across a football field" it also goes on to say that sign language is commonly used in underwater communication. Another tidbit about Sign Language I had not thought of before is that it can not be picked up by bugging devices. I found this information insightful because it gives some positive aspects of Sign Language, and some takes on the language that are commonly not addressed or thought of. 
 
In Chapter 1 of For Hearing People Only it is stated that "some "well meaning" hearing teachers told their students that it was considered "animal-like"" to sign as well as claiming that it was "inferior English." I can not fathom how those students felt after being told that their only way of non written communication was " animal-like," especially by an educated individual. Comments like this are sure to shatter student's self esteem, and crush their outlook on life. I would be ashamed of my self, and would not want to learn anymore after hearing thoughts like this. 

After finishing Chapter 1 I have become more aware of how much I take for granted the teachers, facilities, and schools that are available today for students people with different needs. on page 40 it is said that in the early 1800's even if your family was wealthy there were only two options for deaf children regarding schooling; either "you sent your child overseas to the famous Braidwood Academy in Edinburgh Scotland, oh hired a private tutor." While neither of those options would be easy, if your family was poor the child either stayed home, or went into an asylum where they would get not schooling what so ever! As the chapter progresses it reveals that bringing Sign Language to America and having good educates and institutions with the appropriate funding was a long difficult fiasco.

I plan on putting my Sign Language skills to great use, unlike the early educators mentioned in the HPO book. I am a Communication Disorders major and I will hopefully have the  opportunity to work with hard of hearing individuals from all backgrounds and ages. I love working with the elderly population so communicating or even teaching signs to all walks of life interests me.  

3 comments:

  1. Your post was very "by the book" as per the questions posted on black book. The post was very insight full though. I was thinking that a desire to enforce a standardization to sign language, while meaning well, would be a rather devastating blow to the culture associated with a particular "dialect" of sign language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cate, I completely agree with you about thinking that ASL is English. I have been watching this TV show called "Switched at Birth" (it comes on right after our class on Monday nights) and when they sign is looks like they are signing in order of English. After taking this class and then paying more attention to what the characters are signing it really isnt in English. ~Trinesha Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I have caught this show on Television as well! I really enjoyed it! I don't have cable any more but I know what you are talking about. P.S. Sorry about the rather boring set up of this first blog, I have never blogged before, and after reading some of our classmates posts I think I am beginning to get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete