Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Chapter 3

For Hearing People Only Chapter 3                                                                                           

luc.devroye.org
I am legally blind without any type of vision correction, when I was a child my parents and doctors feared I would lose my vision completely they tried getting me into the Kentucky School for the Blind so I could learn braille. Thankfully I was able to have surgery and everything went as planned, I still have issues regarding my vision but from this experience I was able to learn a very small amount of  braille. For me the thought of braille being confused with Sign Language makes no sense, I have always known that braille is for vision impaired people, and Sign Language is for deaf people.

I think it is an important thing to remember though that "blind people are visible to us in a way that the deaf aren't" this is a statement I had never thought of before. 
lifeprint.com
I have always thought of blind people as being so strong willed and intelligent because I personally vaguely remember trying to learn basic braille even with a small amount of vision and it was extremely difficult. I  have so much respect those who have no vision and have learned braille and carry out everyday tasks just like everyone else.
Just the thought of being blind or deaf scares me, so the idea of being blind and deaf is terrifying. If I were to lose two senses it would be extremely hard to cope. I know how difficult it was to try to learn braille as a child and now I have all of my senses while am trying to learn Sign Language and it is still very difficult for me. If I was do be deaf- blind I would definitely need lots of one on one help and training not just for knowledge and communication, but also psychologically. I couldn't help but ask why me? It seems that we (or I know I do) take for granted such things as vision and/or the ability to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment