Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chapter 9 :)

For Hearing People Only  Chapter 9                                        

The concept of laughing at a joke is one thing that I had never really appreciated before reading this chapter. I hadn't given it much thought that deaf people didn't understand jokes the same way hearing people can. So many jokes rely on sound and puns that people who are deaf from birth cant understand. 
Another interesting topic that was brought up in chapter 9 was the issue of deaf children's standardized test scores, this is another concept that I had never thought about. After reading the chapter and thinking about ASL and glossing I do not think it is fair to have deaf children take the same standardized tests as hearing children. I think a separate test should be made, at the same difficulty level, but maybe a visual form of the test could be made on video. 


No comments:

Post a Comment