Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chapter 10 :)

For Hearing People Only Chapter 10                                          

I had never given the idea of there being accents in Sign Language much thought before reading chapter 10. After giving the question much thought, I couldn't imagine how there wouldn't be different accents. People from all parts of the country have different dialects of English, and use different synonyms and phrases so I would assume ASL does too. One real life example that came to me was Stacey (my ASL 101 teacher) she is from California, and is now teaching in Kentucky. Stacey signs her numbers a little different from people here in KY, and I am certain there are other differences that I will notice the more I learn. One thing I found interesting in chapter 10 was that there is "white- collar ASL and blue- collar ASL). I found it cool that there is "linguistic snobbery" even in the deaf community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment