Sunday, October 28, 2012

Chapter 21:)

Chapter 21- Interaction                                                                                                         

I REALLY enjoyed chapter 21!! I have always wondered whether I should approach a Deaf person in public or not bother them, I would love to be able to learn new things from proficient signers, as well as use ASL in a non school setting but I am fearful of being rejected or interpreted as being rude. I liked the books guide about the correct setting to approach a Deaf person. I would definitely attempt to strike a conversation in a long grocery line or on a bus where I wasn't wasting their time. I do however see how Deaf people could take well- intentioned willingness to help as a sign of people thinking they are incapable of doing things on their own. This chapter mentions that some Deaf people look at people trying to help as being stereotyped as help-less or vulnerable.  
I have never interacted with Deaf people in a public place, besides at the CiCi's Sign and Dine 
event and the Church Event we attended as a class. As I have mentioned in previous blogs, my best friend/ neighbor growing up has Deaf grandparents and I have interacted with them. They are very understanding of the fact that I am just learning ASL, and they are excited to teach me new signs. I really enjoy these interactions, and I believe they do too. They are very independent, even in their old age and I could see how people always trying to help them could be interpreted as the public thinking that they are  incapable of carrying out day to day activities. I look forward to learning more ASL and getting more confident in my skills do I will be able to communicate more effectively. 

1 comment:

  1. I too enjoyed this chapter. I never knew if it was okay or not to approach an ASL conversation. Now that I know it is acceptable it might make the task a little easier to achieve. The DCE are the only times I have interacted with the deaf community and I too would like to use it on a real life bases.

    ReplyDelete