Monday, December 3, 2012

Chapter 31 :)

Children with Hearing Problems                                                                                                   

I found chapter 31 to be very interesting, I am an assistant in a special needs classroom so the information in this chapter was especially relevant for me. The opening paragraph about the little boy with Deaf parents was very interesting to me. I feel like all semester we have talked about Deaf children with hearing parents, but not much about hearing children with Deaf parents. The fact that the boy was translating the ASL that he saw at home to spoken English is fascinating to me, this is a perfect example of why educators should be more informed about ASL and Deaf culture. I found through doing research for a CD class that often even children who are not Deaf can benefit from learning ASL and other signed languages or Augmentative and Alternative Communication. This chapter really emphasized how many resources there are out to find information about Deaf education. Some knowledge that was new to me is that "Maryland together with Washington D.C. has the nations heaviest concentration of Deaf organizations and agencies." I have used Gallaudet's online research resources for projects and research for projects in my Communication Disorders classes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment