Thursday, December 6, 2012

Chapter 33 :)

Speech-Language Pathologists                                                                  

Chapter 33 was so insightful to me, I am currently working on my undergrad in speech-language pathology. Before taking this class I had never really thought about having Deaf and hard of hearing patients. I am no where near a proficient signer, but just from one semester of ASL I have learned so much about Deaf culture and signing. This chapter was a little discouraging for a future SLP to read. 
I understand that "how the doctor or audiologist handles "breaking the news" can have profound repercussions to the parents and children" I think this is another reason that medical professionals should be more informed about Deafness and Deaf culture. I work with a few audiologists, and my mom does hearing screenings on the babies at the hospital. Since taking this class, I have began asking them how often they diagnose deafness and how the parents often react. My mom (she does hearing screenings about once a week) said that she was very shocked at the number of babies who fail the screenings. And one of the audiologists at UofL Hospital had so many heartbreaking stories about parents who took their child's deafness as a sort of death sentence. This is very sad to me, I read something the other day (I can't remember where) that said "deaf people can do anything a hearing person can except hear. I really like this saying, I wish more people would see deafness this way. 
Anyways... now that I am off topic
I thought it was interesting how the book said that "speech pathologists take up where doctors and audiologists leave off" from this phrase I get the impression that we SLPs have a big job, not only with the child but with the parents. I understand how some can see speech therapy as a "monotonous grueling work," but I believe that with a good speech therapist it can be slightly intriguing and hopefully effective. 
It was very warming to read that "most ASL-Deaf people are not opposed to speech training" I am glad to know that they see its importance, I do however wish that speech therapy with Deaf individuals had a better rep, I know that if I have heard how awful and boring something is, then I go into it with a closed mind and never allow that activity to have the chance to be enjoyable.
The portion of this chapter that discussed some SLPs views of the Deaf as being "defective" or broken is very sad. The exert about the person who was pinched for mispronouncing words is so awful as well. This chapter gave me more insight as to why some Deaf people have negative feelings towards SLPs, but it also was a reminder of how important it is to always encourage students and make lessons enjoyable/ effective. 

Recollections:
I could go on and on about my feelings on the recollections in this chapter. Perhaps the most disturbing was the SLP who didn't appreciate the group of Deaf students signing, and found it distasteful. How could someone with a MASTERS DEGREE not recognize the beauty and complexity of ASL. Yes as a SLP I do think some speech is important, but I would never (even before taking ASL) discourage anyone from signing. 
The recollection about honesty between the SLP and client was interesting to me. I understand the SLP wanting to encourage and praise their student, but it is not fair to the student to be lied too. I have the feeling that the speech therapist did not mean to mislead the girl, but she had gotten to know her well, and "Beckey" may have shown great improvement. I am sure cases like this happen, I bet the therapist could understand her because she had gotten used to her speech. Much like in 32 when they explained how the Deaf man read the lips of people he knew better than strangers. 
Overall  this has been one of my favorite chapters! Probably because it directly pertains to my future, but this is a chapter I will keep bookmarked for future reference. 
 

1 comment:

  1. I actually learned a lot after reading this chapter. I didnt know that the deaf person has to be comfortable with the sound of their own voice before they decide that they want to use it. It actually makes sense, because a persons ears are connected to a persons voice and the sound is a bit different. I always figured that a deaf person would want to use their voice so that they can adapt to a hearing world. Like going in to the grocery store and needing help but no one signs. The deaf person can ask.

    ReplyDelete