Sunday, December 9, 2012

Chapter 36 :)

"What do you call a deaf person who does not speak?"                                       

This chapter makes it very clear that all deaf people have the ability to vocalize, but then says that at most a profoundly Deaf child has only a 5% chance of developing intelligible speech. As a future speech-language pathologist this is a little discouraging. All I can hope is that I can make an impact on these children as well as others who have at some time had some hearing. I do understand why some people choose not to voice ever, If I was told that I sounded like an animal, or a freak I would be ashamed to vocalize as well. 
This chapter said that "paradoxically, deaf children whose first language is Sign Language tend to develop better speech than those who are given intensive early oral training without exposure to signing." I think this is so interesting! It makes perfect sense though, the child already has a solid language background in ASL. I think more parents and professionals should be aware of this! I know that I will keep this information with me in hopes of relaying it to parents in the future. 
I am really glad this chapter finally brought up Marlee Matlin, and her wonderful speech. This book does make a great point in saying that she has the luxury of the best articulation coaches, so parents of Deaf children should never try to relate their child to her. That would be like my parents comparing my writing to Jane Austin, or my acting skills to Aubrey Hepburn. Everyone is an individual.  

No comments:

Post a Comment