Sunday, December 9, 2012

Chapter 34 :)

Speech                                                                                                                                   

I understand the writer at the beginning of the chapter wanting the co worker to verbalize, but if she is not comfortable with it then my opinion is that speech should be forced or even suggested.
Something I found to be interesting in this chapter is that "oralists maintain that career opportunities are better for speaking deaf than for non-speaking (sign-dependent) deaf." I do understand this but the book makes an interesting point by questioning that if speech = success than does non-speech = second class citizenship? I definitely don't think so, my reasoning is that even if a Deaf individual does speak they still don't have the ability to answer phones or do that type of work so how much does Deaf speech really improve job outlooks for the person? 
This chapter brought up the question of "How well can you modulate your voice if you can't hear yourself speaking?" I actually had an experience recently that gave me a tiny bit of insight on this concept. I had a very bad ear infection in both ears and it caused my hearing to be very poor. Not only was it frustrating, I could never hear my speaking volume and I felt like my speech articulation was completely off. I can not imagine trying to learn to articulate, and control speaking volume while being Deaf. 
As a future SLP I do think some oral training is important, in emergency situations or other tricky times speech is useful and important, but I would never push anyone to speak in public if they did not feel comfortable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment