Sunday, December 9, 2012

Chapter 35 :)

"If you're Deaf how come you can talk?"                                                                                            

I found chapter 35 to be very interesting! The farther I get into the book the more I realize how intricate and complicated Deaf culture is, I don't mean this is a negative way- I am just shocked that voicing or not is such a controversial topic among both Deaf and hearing people. 
The "Identification-by-communication-modes" seemed a little straight forward to me... so people actually use them to "classify" each other? 
In the first mode it described the Deaf as sometimes using hearing-aids labeled "Deaf," I had never heard of this. I looked on the internet for more information but nothing directly related to this concept came up. How would hearing aids help a born-deaf person? Do they help them hear?
Another concept discussed in this section that determines the person's mode is their label. A person can be: Deaf, they can have deaf-speech, or a HH-voice, be ex-hearing,or hearing-in-the head. I had no idea that there were this many classifications for Deaf peoples speech, or lack there of. I don't think I would label people according to these though, I mean I do think it is interesting to know when a person lost their hearing and if they have any Deaf people in their family but I think that it is their choice to voice or not and no one should be judged or categorized on the quality or quantity of speech. 
The portion about the interpreter not using their speaking voice when out to dinner with Deaf friends was interesting. I do not think I would use my voice in that situation, I feel like it would be rude and as the book mentions "it puts everyone in the party on equal footing." 


No comments:

Post a Comment