Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Chapter 12 :)

For Hearing People Only  Chapter 12             "I want to learn bigger signs"                        

Chapter 12 was very short, but full of useful information. I liked the story in the beginning about the girl meeting two deaf children at cheer camp, I can relate some what to this situation. Growing up my best friend/ next-door neighbor had deaf grandparents who lived in the home with him. I recently visited their home and I was so excited to finally after all these years be able to communicate formally with them. As we got into conversation I realized how many common words I didn't know. I have learned a lot in ASL but, like the girl in the story I became eager to learn "bigger" signs. On this same visit, I noticed a diploma on the wall that I had never paid much attention to in the past.... it was a diploma from Gallaudet University! I have known the Arnold family my entire life, I have always known Charlie's mom taught deaf students but a degree from Gallaudet!!!? WOW! Without taking ASL I would have never known how big of an accomplishment it was to receive a master's degree from Gallaudet University, a degree with Ronald Reagan signature on it!

To learn new signs, I have turned to the internet in the past. I usually use Signingsavvy.com, but after a discussion we recently had in class about the accuracy of online sites on ASL I have decided to seek out other methods. I am not a very accurate signer in the first place, so I definitely need to study accurate methods to improve my ASL skills. Like I said, I am a little slow when it comes to correctly learning signs, so I really liked the suggestion in chapter 12 about turning to the public library for help. I had never considered turning to the library before, so maybe trying to watch a video and having the ability to re watch certain signs and their structure will benefit me. I definitely will use this resource as an advantage over winter term so I can be sure to not lose the signs I have learned this semester. 

I liked how this chapter went over the signing space. I was taught this in the beginning of ASL but it was a good reminder.  I would say that I am pretty comfortable with the signing space, although occasionally my signs tend to drift out to the side. Another point made in this chapter was to be sure and leave enough space between you and the signer so that they can have a good view of your "signing space" and vice-verse. This is a concept I had never given much thought to before reading this chapter.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment