Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chapter 17 :)

Pidgin Sign English Chapter 17                                                                                                     

I did not know anything about Pidgin languages before reading this chapter. I always thought the word "Pidgin" had a negative connotation with the word, but now after reading this chapter I have began to think otherwise. I learned from this chapter that pidgin means "a mixture of two or more languages," I think that in the case of ASL and English speakers, Pidgin Sign English it a good thing to break the communication barrier a little. 
I do still want to learn true ASL, but it is nice to know that there is Pidgin Sign if i am ever unsure of what I am trying to say. I think the book described this concept perfectly by saying that Pidgin Sign "bridged the gap" between English and ASL. Something that came as a suprise to me while reading this chapter was that "hearing people rarely get to see "pure" ASL being used in their presance." I guess this is a way of being polite, I was just suprised to read this. 
Switch Codes, are a way of signing that is more easily understood by English speaking people. Code Switching is when a Signer adjusts or changes their current style of Signing to one that the person they are communicating with can more easily understand. 
http://lifeprint.com
From what I have read, there is not too much difference in MCE and PSE. Manually Coded English uses ASL signs, but has the same grammar and syntax of English.PSE uses English word order with ASL signs,However, not all the English words are signed.

No comments:

Post a Comment