Sunday, October 28, 2012

Chapter 18 :)


Chapter 18 "ASL or Signed English?"                                                                                 

Chapter 18 was a lot to take in, there was so much information in this chapter. I did really like the explanation of the Sign Language continuum, if I were to place myself somewhere on the continuum I would probably be in the middle. I somewhat know the true ASL syntax, but I am no where near an expert. This chapter discussed many different "types" of Sign, while it was a lot of information but the explanations of each different Signed Languages was helpful. 
I like how this chapter emphasized that "ASL is not synonymous with "sign language. "" This chapter notes that "sign language can be loosely employed to mean any sort of sign- based communication." 
Initialized Sign is when the ASL sign is made with the hand shaped into the first Fingerspelled letter of that word. For example purple is signed with the hand in the shape of a Fingerspelled "P." I could see how some people would think that initialized sign is bad, because it is like mixing the English alphabet with ASL. It could almost be like taking away the individually of the language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment