Sunday, October 28, 2012

Chapter 20 :)



Chapter 20 - ASL a Foreign Language?                                                                               

I most certainly think that universities should offer and accept ASL a foreign language requirement. While ASL might not be foreign  as in from another country, most people in America don't know much of anything about ASL which in my opinion makes it foreign. I think Dr. Wilcox describes this well by saying: "foreign is is the eye of the beholder". I think that learning ASL, and the culture will better students for the future not only in the workforce, but in life... which is what college is all about right?
http://www.pasadena.edu
Dr. Wilcox does mention that there could be a written version of ASL, I agree with the statement that there COULD be a written form, but I don't think there should be. There is a whole culture that accompanies ASL, this culture is visual because the main users of ASL are Deaf or hard of hearing. I think that written ASL literature would end up being based on/ related to English which would take away from the independent culture of ASL. I like the idea that the literature aspect of ASL could be in visual form, ASL speakers can record their thoughts and aspirations through art like Chuck Baird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment