Friday, February 15, 2013

Chapter 39 :)

"When I use the word "handicapped," my deaf friends get angry. Why is that?"

I do not see deafness as a physical disability or a handicap. Where I start to trip over my words is when I tell people I am a "Communication Disorders" major. Yes, many communication disorders professionals work with Deaf children yet I do not see deaf people as having a... "disorder." I really like the quote by Dr. I. King Jordan that says "Deaf people can do anything.. except hear." I also like how the chapter goes on to talk about what a disability really is. I think it is a very good point to be made that "some hearing people can't dance, some have no artistic skill whatsoever; some have lousy coordination" yet these people would not consider themselves handicapped. This part of the chapter really gave me a new perspective on this matter, no one con do everything perfectly! 

I was unaware that the Federal Government considered Deafness as a disability/ handicap. While I have never experienced any decision like this before I think I would have to agree that Deafness is not a disability, there is a whole rich culture and community. The book says it perfectly "'handicapped' has acquired a negative connotation. It suggests social inferiority, poverty, hopelessness; it solicits pity not respect." Deaf children should get special help in schools and receive services to make sure they are receiving an equal opportunity for education but I think Deaf people life "fulfilling lives" and are not disabled.


Before deciding on being a Communication Disorders major I contemplated being a special education teacher. This chapter really opened my eyes and made me think about labels and spreading the word to other teachers/ professionals as well as children about not labeling people by their difference or disabilty but to look beyond that and get to know the person not the "disability"

No comments:

Post a Comment