Friday, February 15, 2013

Chapter 46 :)

Parents of Deaf Children 

This chapter was a lot for me to take in. I have so many different thoughts and opinions, but when it comes down to it, I do not know what I would ultimately do if I had a Deaf child. It is a scary reality that for some parents "their child is the first deaf person they've ever met." This is terrifying and what I think is one major reason that many parents may rush and choose cochlear implants.
I thought it was an awakening statement that often "high quality day or magnet school school programs" are only available in a few select cities. Many parents can not pick up and move to a new city and find a new job. This is why I agree with the statement that "some parents can no find any satisfactory option."
I can definitely see that many parents could commit  to ASL at first and make the commitment to learn it, then quickly get discouraged and make a rash decision to choose other approaches like oral ism, and cochlear-implants.
"there is, of course, no one right way" this very true and I think this scares many parents because their decisions early on will affect their child for the rest of their life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment