Friday, February 15, 2013

Chapter 45 :)

I found chapter 45 to be very interesting!! As a future speech-language pathologist it is interesting to think about hearing children who have deaf parents not having god speech models and therefore in need of speech therapy once they enter school. I would love to be able to interact with these children because I think it is amazing when children are bilingual and there are so many benefits to them.
I think that deaf parents raise a hearing child better than the latter because the deaf parents can immerse their children from birth, the "children are given a native language". It may not be spoken language, but nevertheless ASL is a rich language, while hearing parents of deaf children are not usually immediately immersed in a language that they can understand. I am a firm believer that Speech Models are VERY IMPORTANT!
I feel strongly that the experience CODAs get is one of a kind, and as the book supports, they are given a perspective on life that is so different from hearing children of hearing parents. these children also have great perspective job opportunities like being an interpreters, or ASL teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment