Friday, February 15, 2013

Chapter 40 :)

"Hearing" "Hearie" "Hearo"


Chapter 40 discussed the term hearing, which I found helpful because at first this was an odd concept to me as well. One very interesting point brought up in the beginning of chapter 40 is the idea that the minority sees themselves as insiders, and has its own terms for outsiders. I had never thought much about majority and minority groups having different names they use for outsiders.  (especially straight to their face!) I never think of myself as hearing because it is normal to me to hear, and as the book mentions, I definitely thing it is something I take for granted.
I had never been called HEARING until taking an ASL class, I have been around Deaf people before but never had herd this term. I do not think it is offensive as some minority names are, it is just different.
A bit of a "WOW" moment I experienced when reading this chapter was towards the bottom of the first paragraph on page 254. Deaf people have been labeled by things that they can't do and have been called things like "deaf-and-dumb" and "deaf-mute." the only label us hearing people have is hearing or hearings, I do not understand how people can feel uncomfortable about this term when Deaf people have been called far worse for their entire lives.
The term hearie is a new one to me, I have never seen the sign or seen it finger spelled. the book says that it is signed like the word hearing, when I read this my first thought was..." well then how do I know the difference between hearing and hearie??" 
Another term that was new to me in this chapter is the word hearo , I have never seen this signed but I am not sure that I would think of it as being insulting. In my opinion every group has their own labels for themselves as well as other groups. These labels are not always insulting, they may just distinguish differences between people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment