Friday, February 15, 2013

Chapter 43 :)

Deaf people against universal infant hearing screening? 

This chapter came as a complete surprise to me!! I had no idea that people were against universal health screening, I am such an advocate for early intervention that this thought never occurred to me. My mom performs hearing screenings on newborn babies at a major hospital in Louisville and I have herd her say over and over again how surprised she is at the number of Deaf and hard of hearing babies that are born! (My mother is not an audiologist, therefore she does not do any follow up on the children)
After reading this chapter I now understand a little more why some people are against infant screenings, but I still think the screenings should be in place. It is the follow up information that needs to be mandated, information should be given to the parents on ASL and schools for the Deaf. They should be given the opportunity to explore options, and not be scared into expensive hearing aids and permanent implants.
 It think that it is sad that the cochlear-implant industry has to "play on the hopes and fears of parents." Cochlear implants are a risky seemingly permanent "solution" to what is not really a problem. 
I think that more audiologists should be better educated on the benefits of ASL, the the public in general needs to be more informed about Deafness and try to understand that it is not a death sentence, it is a minor difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment