Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Chapter 51 :)

"What Categories does the Deaf Community Include?"


Oh my! This Chapter was very informative. There are so many labels and such... I had no idea! This chapter reiterated some information introduced in chapter 49, as well as expanded on many new terms.

One big concept that I had wondered about for a while is whether hearing people can be considered a part of the Deaf Community. I know Deaf people can give hearing people sign names, so does this mean that you are considered a part of the Deaf community? Anyhow I am glad that I now know that relatives, friends, and other supporters of the DC can be considered as a part of the Community. 

I really like the sort of vocabulary list laid out on page 310, this is a good reference sheet for all the different titles per-say for people who may be a part of the Deaf Community.

The last sentence of this chapter really left a lasting impact on me... it reads, "All members of the Deaf Community, as U.S. Citizens, have specific needs, and our democratic society is obliged to ensure that those needs are met." I think this is a great closing statement that throws all of the titles and hostilities out of the way and just talks about what should be done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment