Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Chapter 55 :)

"What is Deaf culture? Has anyone studied it from a sociological perspective?" 

I REALLY enjoyed reading chapter 55! So many good points were made clear. I like that even on the first page that the authors emphasize that Deaf culture is more than just ASL.
I found it interesting that the "U.S. arguably has the most sophisticated and creative-- and public-- Deaf culture of any." My first thought was that maybe this is true because America is [becoming] more accepting of different cultures and people. It is disappointing however that there is a "certain anti-intellectual bias" still present regarding the Deaf community.
Something that I found interesting... and surprising is that "to Deaf people, sports are a social experience, a kinetic way of expressing "belonging."I did know that the hand signals in baseball were made for Deaf baseball players!  I wish more hearing people just saw sports as a fun social experience, I think we often take these types of events too seriously.
One topic that this chapter addresses is racial segregation among Deaf people. This is a topic I had wondered about before, I was not sure if all deaf people no matter of skin color had always been grouped together or if segregation had in fact even existed in the Deaf community! Interesting! 
Another topic this chapter addressed is ethnic culture. It is a good point that often Deaf children of hearing parents don't have as strong of a connection with the Deaf community. It makes perfect sense that Deaf children with Deaf family members have a better sense of belonging in the Deaf community and are more confident when signing. I can relate to this matter because in classes where I have a background in the material and understand it I am more apt to speak out in class and volunteer to help others.
I thought the concept of the "Deaf Renaissance" was really cool! I am sure deaf art and poetry/plays etc are all very dramatized and interesting to watch because ASL is so visually based. 
The remarks made at the end of the chapter by Dr. Allen E. Sussman were very true and thought provoking. He makes some great points in saying that so many professionals are concentrated with what is wrong with Deaf people rather than what is right! He makes some great points that we should try to apply to all aspects of life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment