Thursday, March 7, 2013

Chapter 53 :)

"Are hard-of-hearing people part of the Deaf community?" 

Chapter 53 elaborated on many of the points brought up in chapter 52. One thing they really hit the nail on the head with is that "the situation is complex and sticky." 

A main point that I need to keep in mind is that "hard-of-hearing is not just an audiological situation, it's a state of mind." I feel like there are so many different categories of hard-of-hearing that this phrase is really important to remember. 
When I first read that HOH children who attend a school for the deaf feel like they're "better" I was caught off guard. There seems to be so much snobbery and snubbing over this issue... it is hard for me to fully understand it. I didn't really like how this chapter ranked people, everyone is different and I feel that the more people rank each other and put others or themselves in a hierarchy there will be conflict and hurt feelings. 
As I read this chapter I began to wounder..."how new of a conflict is this?" I always grouped hard-of-hearing and deaf people together," but this chapter definitely let me know that this is not the case!  

These lats 2 chapters have definitely made me sympathize with hard-of-hearing people. Every one wants to have a sense of belonging and I get the feeling that HOH people don't feel that way with the deaf or hearing community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment