Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Chapter 54 :)

Problems faced by late-deafened people

I found this chapter to be very interesting, I love working with older people and in the future I hope to be employed in a nursing home setting
I can not imagine what it is like to be deaf, especially after experiencing the hearing world for many years. As the book says, "picking up a telephone and making a whispered call, music, conversations, family dinners, interacting with children and grand children, chit-chat and jokes, on-the-job communication, the everyday spoken details of life--"aural wall paper." all of these things that people take for granted their whole lives becomes impossible. 
It is very sad to me that "rock solid marriages" can fall apart after a partner is deafened.  This just goes to show how important communication is. I can not imaging losing my hearing and my family... Isolation is such a scary thought. 
I was glad to read that there is a group like the Association of Late-Deafened Adults exists. I am sure sharing experiences and talking about what is going on really helps late-deafened adults to express their feelings and talk about problems and everyday life. It is always helpful to talk with others who understand your situation and can sympathize.

No comments:

Post a Comment