Friday, March 15, 2013

Chapter 59 :)

Comparing the Deaf community to a ghetto? 

I thought this chapter was a little far fetched. I do not think that Deaf culture is dying out because of the cochlear implants, it is a major/ dangerous surgical procedure and it is very expensive. I do agree that "deafness is a part of their personalities that they cherish, and consider special."
This chapter says that a ghetto is "imposed on a population as a means of oppressing it, keeping it under control- powerless, demoralized, terrified." I do not think that any of the above applies to deaf culture. The Deaf community is very powerful and are not afraid or incapable of standing up for themselves. 
One aspect where I do agree that the Deaf community may be like a ghetto is in the aspect that "they derive a feeling of safety, security and shared concerns. 
Overall I would not compare the DC to a ghetto, yes they like to associate with each other in a place where they can communicate freely, however I think the word "ghetto" has such a negative connotation that I would not use it to correspond with the Deaf community.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your statement about This chapter says that a ghetto is "imposed on a population as a means of oppressing it, keeping it under control- powerless, demoralized, terrified." I do not think that any of the above applies to deaf culture. The Deaf community is very powerful and are not afraid or incapable of standing up for themselves." I wish I had said something about this in my blog because it is such an important statement for people to read and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the fact that I never would have compared the Deaf Community to the ghetto. Your right, the term “ghetto” does have such a negative connotation. I don’t think that they can be compared just because they both “derive a feeling of safety, security, and shared concerns”.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the Deaf culture are strong and stand up for themselves. Comparing them to the ghetto is definitly not what I would say. I am like you, I feel that they are known to stick to accepting certain because they do not like that some many people try to put them down and belittle their community.

    ReplyDelete