Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chapter 63 :)

Which Films Would Deaf People Enjoy?!

Recently at the Deaf Culture Event at Stakz in Bowling Green, I met a Deaf woman named Debbie there. When I asked her what she liked to do in her free time she said... go to the movies. My initial thought was... movies... why in the world would you enjoy going to the movie theater... well then you wouldn't hear all the annoying people talking and such during the movie. Anyhow Debbie went on to say that she loved romantic movies and hated action movies. This really surprised me because in this chapter Action movies were the number one suggested film. One suggestion I hadn't thought of (IDK why) was to read the book first, and take into consideration of there is a book when inviting a Deaf person to the movie theater with me.
Another surprising suggestion for me was to go see subtitled foreign films, I completely understand why Deaf people would like these films but there really isn't many of them out in the mainstream theaters, but it would definitely be an option when renting (even though I HATE those movies).
When I read about the innovation of closed captioning goggles I was so amazed... this really shows how far technology has come! I think this is so great, and I hope that more theaters got this capability. I was really surprised to read that home videos and theaters are not covered by the ADA! There are so many educational as well as entertainment videos out there that Deaf people should have the right to watch and "hear"/read!

No comments:

Post a Comment