Thursday, April 18, 2013

Chapter 67 :)

"Do Deaf people show a slight difference in their facial anatomy?" 


I have never even thought about this question before... as this chapter mentions, Deafness has been called the "invisible handicap. I have not met too many Deaf people, but I the few I have been in contact with have shown no (at least noticeable enough for me) visual or physiological signs that they are deaf. As the book mentioned, Deaf people do use their facial muscles more often and in different ways than hearing people, which could explain why some people may think this. I think it is really cool that Deaf culture relies so heavily on expression and facial movements.... because of this I have thought lately "there must be no shy Deaf people." I know that especially this semester I have had a hard time signing in front of the class or group because I do not really know anyone and I feel odd... even in a class of people doing the same things as I am. I just think it would be really difficult to be a shy Deaf person because so much expression is necessary when signing.  


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, I had never even thought about this question before. I think that whoever asked this may have been noticing how ASL users use their face as grammatical markers. I also have never considered you to be a shy signer. Your signing has been great this semester!

    ReplyDelete